Monday, May 23, 2011

HW 57 - Initial Thoughts on Prom

       Prom is a rite of passage. It is nothing less than that. As a society, we've been taught to marvel at this transition from adolescence to adulthood. Not only do big department stores use corny maxims (i.e. It's your chance to be cinderella!) to hype up the fancy and formal aspects of Prom but, popular media like Disney has made it part of its goal to push the tradition of Prom onto its audiences. I remember three years ago when Disney's High School Musical 3 debuted - it was about how Prom marked each high school student's ability to make their own decisions and fulfill their dreams. This new marked ability represents adulthood, what the media wants its younger audiences to strive for. However, we need to ask ourselves, what exactly are the new privileges of "adulthood" that are advertised and marketed to the youth? On prom night, adulthood embodies the student's independence and desire to do what they please without much supervision: staying up all night without parents nagging, drinking large amounts of alcohol, expressing their sexual drive and prowess through visual means (revealing dresses), etc.

       Can we say that these privileges are virtuous? I wouldn't say so. The media and even schools encourage their youth to play out an extravagant fantasy on one night. It's unrealistic to think that dressing and playing the roles of elites is a model for the future. The future isn't about "alcohol in the punchbowl" but instead, hard work and struggle to earn credentials and a name to acquire wealth. Although Prom makes no effort to reveal the less elite parts of being an adult I would not go as far as to say that prom establishes someone's aspirations for the future. It may give them a taste of a portion of adulthood. This portion of adulthood includes the freedom of doing what one pleases, the chance of partnering with another, and wealth. These three things seem favorable, however, I don't think they would define my would-be transition from an adolescent to an adult. After dishing out and elaborating my initial thoughts on prom, I'm not sure what to expect from Prom in my senior year. But, I definitely don't want to be "Cinderella." I have no need for a big transformation - I find no virtue in paying for an overly expensive dress and ostentatious transportation. If anything, I will be happy just because I am spending time with people I have spent 4 years with. The moment "my prince gives me back my glass shoe" will not be pinnacle of my senior year.

Questions:
- Why can prom be both a chance for adolescents to become adults and a chance for adults to become young again?
- Why must fantasy embody Prom? Does fantasy have to mean acting like the elite and rich or can it be simply enjoying time with your friends?
- Why do location and wealth matter in Prom?

No comments:

Post a Comment