Friday, May 27, 2011

HW 59 - SOF Prom 2011 & DSPs


As I casually login onto Facebook, the day after prom, my news feed is bombarded with prom pictures and telling statuses.  Everyone looks his or her best and everyone doesn’t miss a chance to flash a smile toward the camera.  I can’t help but long for my chance to look as beautiful as everyone did in the photos.   I don’t think it’s bad to yearn for such an opportunity.  The opportunity not only allows your self-esteem to go up but also allow others to see you at what you consider your best.  However, your definition of best is inevitably influenced by what society believes is best.  My value in beauty isn’t frivolous nor is it feminine.  I don’t understand why wanting to be beautiful, at least for a night, must be labeled as superficial and feministic.  I see as much beauty in the idea of prom as in the newest invention of technology.  I’m not going as far as to say that prom is super important to me – it’s just a chance to have fun and look nice.  Seniors, from what I can tell from their statuses on Facebook, say prom was “amazing.”  The word “beautiful” became ubiquitous among the statuses, revealing that beauty was what made the night most memorable.  This leads me to believe that the memorable must embody the wallflowers of the school transforming into social butterflies for the night, playing and looking the part. 
            I mustn’t forget about the encouraged conspicuous consumption of alcohol in prom culture.  It acts as a catalyst for teens to raise their “popularity.”  Peers praise those who come to school the day after prom still in their prom attire because they have demonstrated their rebel against authority.  Authority, in this scenario, represents the parents’ concern for their children, usually smelling of alcohol and the occasional smoke, to come home at a reasonable time, not the next morning.  “Still hung-over from last night AHAHA f#$ked s@#% up!” reads across my screen and I scoff at this girl’s status.  I don’t remember when feeling terrible and suffering a headache (the results of a hangover I presume) meant fun.  When I attend prom next year, I will not wander into the realms of fun that the girl spoke of.  I will attend prom next year because I think I will have a good time with my friends.  I argue that prom should just be enjoyed, nothing more or less than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment